Deer Update

June 29th Wednesday

Last night Maggie mae came to the house around 5:30 and wanted a bottle.  I usually feed them around that time but I go to our spot in the woods and feed them.  I was concerned because by the time I got the bottles warmed up she had disappeared.  I walked down to the woods calling her and Lucky.  Maggie Mae immediately came and ate.  Lucky never did show up last night even though I walked and called for an hour or so.  My husband and grandkids walked down a couple hours later and she still did not come to eat.  This morning I went to feed them and neither one showed up to eat.  I walked and called and cried.  I said a prayed that God would protect them and keep them from being hungry if my job was done. I told him that even if He was going to care for them I'd at least like to know that they were safe.   I came back to the house and tried to occupy my mind by getting our things packed to leave for Oklahoma (we are taking our bucklings to the forage performance test).  We had a family show up to pick berries and while they were out picking and I was packing, and Wayne was working with the horses, Lucky shows up at the house ready to eat.  I gave her a bottle while sitting on the step of the garage.  The grandkids and I where getting a bottle warmed for Maggie Mae (going to go back to the woods and try to find her)  when the family with 3 small girls came back from picking berries.  They got a chance to see and pet Lucky.  The young girls were very gentle with Lucky and I think enjoyed seeing a fawn up that close.  We headed back down the dam road and were just getting close to the woods when out runs Maggie Mae ready for her bottle. She ate and then ran and played on the dam road up and down while Lucky was content to just stay close and watch the dogs play in the water.  Finally Maggie Mae went into the woods and stayed.  Lucky followed but came back out and headed back toward the house.  We came back after playing in the water a few minutes and Lucky was behind the house in the tall grass in the goat pen.  I think she decided to stay close for supper.  The new horse Gunner is doing great.  He is young and so we are teaching him to lunge, drive, stand tied (his hardest lesson), and tolerate a saddle on his back.  He seems eager to please and we are very happy with his progress.  I lunged Lazarus a little last night (just a walk since he is still healing up on his leg) and he still remembered that he has gears.  A slow easy walk and a fast paced walk.  Lazarus has decided that when he is out browsing that he would stand in the horse trailer when he wants to rest.  He is very easy to handle and so we let him free range alot of the time.  I guess I better close and get finished getting things loaded up.  As far as the berries, there are still a bunch of red raspberries ready to be picked so even though we are gone, feel free to come pick our youngest son and his family will be here.

9 Comments to Deer Update:

Stephanie on Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:37 PM
Thanks for a great visit and yummy raspberries!!! The girls are still talking about Lucky, that was really amazing. Oh, and they keep talking about the turkey too!

Jill zink on Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:13 PM
Stephanie I am so glad they got to see Lucky and Peep peep. I feel that to experience wildlife up close and personal can be a wonderful experience for kids and adults. To pet or feed a wild deer can be a once in a lifetime experience and for me to have the chance to be their mom can only be described as incredible. I hope that our animals give people a chance to not only learn more about different animals but to also show them how animals have distinct personalities and their love is so unconditional. I am thrilled after a visit when a child says they think they would like to be a veterinarian or work in a zoo. I hope you all return even if it is just to spend some quality time with the critters. Jill

Jill zink on Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:13 PM

replica omega on Monday, September 09, 2013 1:34 AM
Thanks for sharing the descriptive moral of the story.

strona www on Sunday, August 03, 2014 8:51 AM
They work best the spot where the really need to finish off the floor or simply wall However, you had to have a large amount of past experiences or perhaps enthusiasm to understand for you to properly get on with the task.

strona www on Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:14 AM
When design often the loft gizmos would be wise to take Just organise from the house. It contains hard drive about large jackets

nexiq on Friday, December 19, 2014 4:30 AM
A host of journalists were outside to capture the moment.

led mini spot light on Friday, January 30, 2015 7:39 AM
Energy-efficient LED light bulbs are rapidly replacing their energy-inefficient incandescent cousins, helped in no small part by government regulations.

site on Saturday, September 12, 2015 4:35 PM
Virtually all styles of electricity heating systems get as of late popular When ordering door and also kennel area for their unique land can be good